Fernando Alonso says he is still yet to make any decision regarding a possible entry to the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2018 despite reports he has agreed a deal with Toyota.
Alonso has long made his intention to race at Le Mans clear, and took his first step towards a drive at the Circuit de la Sarthe by testing a Toyota LMP1 car last Sunday in Bahrain.
Alonso will make his sports car racing debut in January’s Rolex 24 at Daytona with United Autosports, whose LMP2 car he tested earlier this week in Spain before arriving in Abu Dhabi for the final race of the Formula 1 season.
Despite looking set to race for Toyota in Le Mans next year – with some reports even claiming a deal is already done – Alonso stressed on Thursday he is yet to firm up a decision.
“No, no. I haven’t decided yet on that,” Alonso said.
“For sure I will do Le Mans in the future. It’s a race that is very attractive.
“But I don’t know if that is going to happen next year, the following year, or in the long term.”
Alonso was pleased with the test outings for both Toyota and United Autosports, noting some of the differences compared to both F1 and the two different types of sports car.
“They felt great. I’m behind a steering wheel probably every week with different cars, but obviously the last two were public and a little bit bigger series,” Alonso said.
“It was fantastic and I had the opportunity in Bahrain to test in the LMP1 [car], which is obviously a different car with some technologies we don’t have yet in F1 or some that have been banned like traction control and four-wheel drive, which requires a different driving style.
“There are some limitations with fuel and things like that that makes it a little bit more frustrating than what we have here, but overall we had a good experience.
“And then with LMP2 in Spain testing for Daytona was also good fun. The cars were very different, more raw and more simple.
“It was good fun, and I’m ready for next winter in Daytona and not to have much free time.”